Homemade Remedies for Cleaning Skunk Spray
At one time or another, most pet owners are going to come up against the problem of getting skunk odor off their animals.
As an Animal Veterinary Technician for eleven years, I have had my share of ridding pets of the consequences of their skunk encounters.
If your pet has been exposed, here are some useful tips:
- It’s best if you can keep your pet outside. If not, then try to keep your pet in a well ventilated room preferably in a pet crate. Otherwise you can end up with the skunk smell on your carpet and furniture.
- Check your pet over for any signs of being bitten. Skunks may carry rabies so if you find bite marks, take your pet to your veterinarian.
- Check your pet’s eyes. Skunks aim for the eyes and the liquid can damage the eyes. If your pet won’t open their eyes, call your vet for advice.
- Unless your pet is a show animal, you might want to consider shaving off the affected fur.
Now for the remedies:
- Tomato juice or sauce. This doesn’t really take the odor away. It just masks it and not very well, but it is better than nothing. You need to give several baths with good rinsing in-between.
- The best home remedy is 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide plus ¼ cup of baking soda plus 1 teaspoon of detergent. Dawn liquid dish detergent is good for this.
- The hydrogen peroxide and baking soda creates a volatile mixture so do not store any extra in a closed container. Use all of the mixture that you make.
- Leave the mixture on your pet for 5 minutes and then rinse, dry and repeat.
- Make sure that you wear gloves or you’ll end up with the skunk odor on you as well.