Another decade of film has come and gone, and now is the time to look back on the 2000s and discover the cinematic gems you may have missed.
1. The Fall, 2006. Directed by Tarsem Singh. A gorgeous, heart-wrenching epic tale that combines fantasy and reality in a powerful and humane way.
2. Son of Rambow, 2007. Directed by Garth Jennings. A fun (and funny) but poignant tale of an unlikely friendship between two English schoolboys.
3. Flight of the Red Balloon (Le Voyage du Ballon Rouge), 2007. Directed by Hsiao-hsien Hou. A masterfully woven tale of the wonder of childhood and its subsequent loss.
4. Mad Hot Ballroom, 2005. Directed by Marilyn Agrelo. A delightful documentary about New York City schoolchildren competing in a city-wide ballroom dance competition.
5. Amazing Grace, 2006. Directed by Michael Apted. The powerful true story of William Wilberforce and his fight to end the British slave trade.
BONUS FILM: Wendy and Lucy, 2008. A well-crafted little film centering on a young woman's attempt to journey to Alaska accompanied by her dog, Lucy.