Microsoft SQL server is a data platform that allows its users to manage their databases and applications. It is very important to keep your SQL server optimized to the level you need. If the data platform doesn’t perform correctly, you might be putting your business in jeopardy. You should use a professional to take care of SQL server.
Here are a few tips on how to optimize SQL server:
- Install add-on software. There are several programs, like Best Practices Analyzer Tool from Microsoft and SQL Refactor, which you can install to help you to optimize SQL server. For a fee, these add-on tools for will assist you with speeding up your database development and administration, improve the quality of your code, and detect and diagnose performance issues. Some software offers free 30 days trial versions.
- Optimize indexes. Another way to optimize SQL server is to keep indexes optimized as well. Indexing is a big part of the SQL server. When designing indexes, pay attention to the following:
- Use clustered and non-clustered indexes with caution because they can slow down the performance if they are utilized inappropriately.
- Do not use indexes on tables that you update often.
- In order to minimize the execution time of statements that are used often, you should use a covering index type.
- Optimize SQL server hardware. Optimizing SQL server hardware will improve the SQL server performance. There are several ways to keep SQL server hardware optimized:
- You should configure SQL server to the optimization level you need.
- Perform weekly tune-ups.
- Use performance monitoring tools.
- Do not use minimum hardware requirements. You should always think about expansion.