VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It connects remote users by using a public network such as the Internet. The main purpose of VPN is to transmit data in a secure and reliable way.
The signal of VPN goes through routers and remote access services. Many VPN solutions include authentication, authorization, and encryption technologies.
There are several types of VPN connections. PPTP VPN (Dial-up VPN) is a software based system that uses your existing Internet connection. Some systems come with pre-built VPN connection, For example, when a remote user connects to PPTP VPN, the connection goes through the Internet, passes through the encryption of firewall, and accesses the data centers. Site-to-Site VPN has the same concept as PPTP VPN but uses routers to connect its user groups via the Internet. For instance, the connection from a site goes through router A, and then the connection goes though the Internet and connects to router B, and then accesses the site B. MPLS VPN is a connection between several buildings and datacenter.
Here are a few ways how to set up VPN:
- Open Windows Control Panel ® Network Connections
- In Network tasks, click on “Create a new connection”
- The wizard connection screen will appear
- Choose “Connect to the network at my workplace” and click next
- Choose “Virtual Private Network connection option” and click next
- Name the connection and click “next”
- Choose Public Network and click “next”
- Enter IP address of the VPN remote access server to connect to and click “next”
- Choose Connection Availability and click “next”
- Click “Finish”
- Open Windows Control Panel ® Network and Internet
- In Network and Sharing center, click on “Connect to a network”
- Connect to a network window will appear. Click on “Set up a connection or network link”
- Choose Connection to a workplace and click “next”
- Choose Use my Internet Connection
- Type Internet address and Destination name and choose “Don’t connect now, just set it up so I can connect later” option and click “next”
- Type user name and password and click “create”
- VPN is set up